In 1917, the year of the Soviet Revolution, Lúcia dos Santos and her cousins Francisco and Jacinta Marto, popularly called “The Three Little Shepherds”, said that they had witnessed six apparitions of Our Lady in Cova da Iria, Fátima, on 13th May, 13th June, 13th July, 13th September and 13th October, having also occurred in August another apparition but on the 19th in Valinhos, a village that also belongs to the parish of Fátima.
In Fátima you can visit the house of Francisco and Jacinta Marto’ s Parents, two of the little shepherds who saw the Blessed Virgin. This house allows the visitors to know a little bit of the Portuguese mountainous habits, in the beginning of the twentieth century, and the history of the little shepherds of Fátima.
Another place to visit is “Capelinha das Aparições”, in Cova da Iria, in the Sanctuary of Fátima in Portugal. The pedestal where the original sculpture of Our Lady is located, indicates the right place where was the little holm-oak on which the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to the three little Shepherds of Fátima.
After the last apparition (on 13th October 1917) Lúcia de Jesus went to the asylum of Vilar in Oporto, and following the advice of the bishop of Leiria, D. José Alves Correia da Silva, she begins to live in solitude, which will take her to the postulating of the Sisters Dorotheas, in Spain, at the age of 15, and later, to the closure in the Carmel of Santa Teresa, in Coimbra, from 17th May 1946 to her death, on 13th February 2005.
© 2017 Pousada de Condeixa Coimbra. All rights reserved.